Because I am trying to cope with *everything, * I decided to rank all the episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender to keep me distracted. This ranking will be done in several parts – with updates every Thursday.
So stay tuned and let me know what you think!
53. Book 1: Chapter 11 – The Great Divide
This is the most inconsequential episode of the whole series – and the humor isn’t even that good. Plus Aang’s resolution doesn’t make any sense. It’s not bad -just mediocre.
52. Book 2: Chapter 5 – Avatar Day
Avatar Kyoshi’s appearance was the best part of this episode. The Sherlock Holmes-style was cool – but the town’s people were jerkasses and it doesn’t really affect the overall plot.
51. Book 1: Chapter 9 – The Waterbending Scroll
The moral of the story is that stealing is okay if it’s from pirates. (Admittedly, the scroll making a comeback in Wan Shi Tong’s library was nice.)
50. Book 3: Chapter 3 – The Painted Lady
Townspeople get mad at Katara for cultural appropriation while she legitimately tries to help them. She once again learns lying to help people isn’t always a good move.
49. Book 3: Chapter 7 – The Runaway
Toph breaks laws and doesn’t care. Katara is portrayed as wrong but is trying to keep everyone out of trouble.
48. Book 1: Chapter 14 – The Fortuneteller
Aang gets an admirer who calls Katara a slut and is never mentioned again. This exists to establish Kataang.
47. Book 3 Chapter 9 – Nightmares and Daydreams
Aang needs a therapist and some Ambien. The nightmares are pretty funny – but spending a whole Chapter on the plot feels like it ruins the pacing.
46. Book 1: Chapter 5 – King of Omashu
Bumi is a trickster mentor and we still don’t know how Omashu’s government works. Points for introducing the Cabbage Merchant.
45. Book 2: Chapter Nine – Bitter Work
Toph tries to teach Aang. Sokka gets stuck in a hole.
44. Book 2: Chapter 4 – The Swamp
Cool visions. Katara and Sokka meet some long-lost distant relatives.
43. Book 1: Chapter 16 – The Deserter
Aang tries to learn firebending but fails but at least Zhao gets humiliated.
42. Book 2: Chapter 3 – Return to Omashu
Bumi did nothing while his kingdom was taken over. Shenanigans ensue. We meet best villain girl Mai,
41. Book 2: Chapter 1 – The Avatar State
Maybe military leaders aren’t the best to advise on spiritual matters. But points for introducing Azula
40. Book 3 Chapter 13 – The Firebending Masters
Aang and Zuko learn to dance and meet an ancient civilization, who never gets mentioned again.